Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

THIS FORUM IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW REGISTRATIONS BUT LEFT FOR PROSPERITY!

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-10 22:43:39

Shiido

How do you speak more manly in Japanese?

Hi.
I've been studying Japanese for 6 months now. My Japanese colleague told me that when I speak Japanese I sound "girlish". I asked him how can I sound more manly, he ignores me. I guess I sound  girlish because I learned my Japanese intonations and vocabs from my Girlfriend. So can anyone help me sound more manly?
Thank you

#2 2008-04-10 23:56:57

Gestalt

Re: How do you speak more manly in Japanese?

Couple of tips:

a)  In general, when speaking as second language people tend to be a bit more stressed than their native language, making their voice rise up a litte higher than usual.  This can be the cause of comments like the one your colleague made. Keep your voice at your normal pitch.

b)  Intonation. About 50% of 'sounding manly' is having the right intonation over the whole sentence. Girls do have a particular tone and cadence which won't
help you if you copy it. Sorry, can't really explain this better over the internet, but the key is to listen and copy guys.

c) "Girls" langugage - if you've been copying what girls say you may well be using a lot of phrases which girls tend to use but guys don't so much. This also ties up with b) above

#3 2008-04-11 00:47:12

Shiido

Thanks Gestalt

I have a problem though since I don't have any Japanese males to talk to, I won't be able to copy the way they talk.  I would try asking my colleague but he almost never speaks in Japanese. Do you have a general tip?
I don't really copy my girlfriend on purpose, she's the only one I talk Japanese with on a daily basis.

This is going to be a big problem, and I thought I was doing well with my Japanese.

#4 2008-04-11 01:20:47

You just need to hook up with some japanese blokes and get drunk with them.

#5 2008-04-11 03:09:26

pink~hime

Maybe you use some very girly words? Do you remember something you said that he commented on? It could be helpful in identifying words that are much to feminine.

うまい書くことは、思いつけない。まぁ、変なことはいっぱいあるけど・・

#6 2008-04-11 04:44:10

Shiido

I was practicing out loud once, I think I was saying something like "Ube-shi kara. un 10ji. Hanashitai demo nemui. korekara neru."(Im from Ube. Yes it's 10'o clock. I want to talk but Im sleepy. Im going to sleep) I was pretending that I was talking to somebody. I just started learning Japanese, Im not sure if that is even right but after he heard me he said that I sounded girlish. lol

#7 2008-04-11 06:26:58

richvh

Well, one problem is your use of "demo" in the middle of a sentence - it only means "but" at the beginning of a sentence.  Use "ga" or "kedo" in that context.

Richard VanHouten
[url=http://www.citlink.net/~richvh]ゆきの物語[/url]

#8 2008-04-11 10:14:17

And when you use kedo, don't stretch it like your GF. Drop the pitch, and rather swallow the end than stretch it.

#9 2008-04-11 10:26:06

Kscnoko

Shiido wrote:

I was practicing out loud once, I think I was saying something like "Ube-shi kara. un 10ji. Hanashitai demo nemui. korekara neru."(Im from Ube. Yes it's 10'o clock. I want to talk but Im sleepy. Im going to sleep) I was pretending that I was talking to somebody. I just started learning Japanese, Im not sure if that is even right but after he heard me he said that I sounded girlish. lol

Maybe you are not using polite forms??

#10 2008-04-11 15:00:01

shiido

^What does not using the formal version got to do with being girlish?

Maybe I am copying my GF's pitch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Be you angels?"
"Nay, we are but men."

#11 2008-04-11 20:28:42

hasen

watch a Japanese drama and listen to how guys talk .. smile

ハセン

#12 2008-04-12 01:34:27

shiido

hasen wrote:

watch a Japanese drama and listen to how guys talk .. smile

Ah! Thanks, I was thinking about that. lol
But do you guys have like a general tip to sound manly?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Be you angels?"
"Nay, we are but men."

#13 2008-04-12 03:10:04

QKlilx

Use manly language and avoid using ね in the middle of your sentences. If you already avoid it then you're cool. I unfortunately am exposed to Japanese females more often than males (coworkers) so I wouldn't be surprised if my typical speech patterns are littered with a few girl-isms here and there. I know how to turn it off, but then I just sound rude.

#14 2008-04-12 11:54:11

claytonian

Talk like Abe Hiroshi.  Incidentally a great way to keep your accent clear.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YXn3BCvg-BE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YXn3BCvg-BE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

-----------------
You see how this actually looks like a signature with that separator up there?
[url]http://surrealu.blogspot.com[/url]

#15 2008-04-12 21:43:48

pink~hime

Maybe he thought you were girlish because you were talking to yourself? 0.o
LOL that would be weird if it were so.

#16 2008-04-13 01:30:08

QKlilx wrote:

Use manly language and avoid using ね in the middle of your sentences.

Using ね in the middle of a sentence isn't inherently feminine.  It may be in certain areas of Japan, but I hear plenty of Japanese guys use it as conversation filler.

人生は一箱のマッチに似ている。重大に扱うのはばかばかしい。しかし重大に扱わなければ危険である。
Life is like a box of matches. To treat it seriously is just crazy. However, if you don't treat it seriously, then there's a danger.

- 芥川龍之介

#17 2008-04-16 11:20:59

randomguy123

#18 2008-04-17 09:54:19

shiido

Thanks for the above link!

"Be you angels?"
"Nay, we are but men."

#19 2008-04-17 10:06:33

setsuna seiei

#20 2008-04-18 03:45:19

hasen

for some reason I doubt this guy's "version" of history

ハセン

#21 2008-04-18 11:12:10

hasen wrote:

Also, adding かい to the end of sentences has a tendency to make you sound like a manly 田舎者

人生は一箱のマッチに似ている。重大に扱うのはばかばかしい。しかし重大に扱わなければ危険である。
Life is like a box of matches. To treat it seriously is just crazy. However, if you don't treat it seriously, then there's a danger.

- 芥川龍之介

#22 2008-04-18 18:46:29

pink~hime

dapperdanman1400 wrote:
hasen wrote:

Also, adding かい to the end of sentences has a tendency to make you sound like a manly 田舎者

Who came out of an anime ^_~

#23 2008-04-20 01:38:15

QKlilx

dapperdanman1400 wrote:
QKlilx wrote:

Use manly language and avoid using ね in the middle of your sentences.

Using ね in the middle of a sentence isn't inherently feminine.  It may be in certain areas of Japan, but I hear plenty of Japanese guys use it as conversation filler.

I don't, but it's possible that it's because I've listened to more women talk than guys. Personally I've heard it from women more often than guys. Most of the Japanese people I talk to are from Kansai, if that's any indication.

#24 2008-04-24 09:18:53

shiido

Thanks for your tips and the links guys.

"Be you angels?"
"Nay, we are but men."

Board footer