Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

To address questions and improvements for the Japanese Grammar Guide as well as topics concerning Japanese in general.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-02 16:50:55

jdh36457

Double-particles (e.g. への, のは)

Hi,

The last days, I found 2 sentences which use two particles one after another ...

1. 一番難しかったのは、...
2. 上野への行き方は...

I had a look in wikipedia, the Grammar Guide, in some other books, google, ... and didn't found anything about.

Could someone please explain why and when something can be done?

Is it in the Grammar Guide explained and I just didn't found it?

Thx in advance!
トマス

#2 2012-07-02 17:18:02

Cici

Re: Double-particles (e.g. への, のは)

Try considering the particles one at a time.

「一番難しかった」 "the hardest"
「一番難しかったの」 "the hardest thing"
「一番難しかったのは……」 "the hardest thing was..." (lit., as for the hardest thing, ...)

Here, the の turns the adjective 難しい into a generic noun, which is then used as the topic. The guide mentions it on the noun particles page.

「上野へ」 "to Ueno"
「上野への行き方」 "the way to Ueno" (lit. {to Ueno}'s direction)
「上野への行き方は……」 "the way to Ueno is..." (lit. as for {to Ueno}'s direction...) (see also sentences from the tanaka corpus)

You might also want to take a look at the には examples Yldas posted in this thread (in which the に, attached to the plain form of a verb, creates the concept of "for the purpose of doing [verb]").

Last edited by Cici (2012-07-02 17:28:40)

#3 2012-07-02 17:24:22

キツネ

jdh36457 wrote:

1. 一番難しかったのは

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/gr … nparticles

Midway through that lesson you will see how の can be used to create nouns as shown in your example.

jdh36457 wrote:

2. 上野への行き方は...

I don't think there's a special set of grammar rules here but I could be wrong. It should appear to be natural to use の to combine a phrase that describes something with what it is describing. "The way to go" is a noun (行き方) which is being modified by "To Ueno" (上野へ)

I would need someone's help to issue a better explanation for this structure so you can better understand the different ways you can form it.

#4 2012-07-02 19:40:25

Yldas

キツネ wrote:
jdh36457 wrote:

1. 一番難しかったのは

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/gr … nparticles

Midway through that lesson you will see how の can be used to create nouns as shown in your example.

jdh36457 wrote:

2. 上野への行き方は...

I don't think there's a special set of grammar rules here but I could be wrong. It should appear to be natural to use の to combine a phrase that describes something with what it is describing. "The way to go" is a noun (行き方) which is being modified by "To Ueno" (上野へ)

I would need someone's help to issue a better explanation for this structure so you can better understand the different ways you can form it.

You explained it correctly. 「上野へ」 by itself modifies the predicate of the sentence; 「上野への」 modifies a noun.

未来の自分への手紙 - a letter to one's future self
未来の自分へ手紙を送る - to send a letter to one's future self

田中からの贈り物 - a present from Tanaka
田中から贈り物をもらう - to receive a present from Tanaka

Last edited by Yldas (2012-07-02 19:50:13)

#5 2012-07-03 10:48:07

jdh36457

Thank you for your help! That explains it very well smile

Board footer