Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

THIS FORUM IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW REGISTRATIONS BUT LEFT FOR PROSPERITY!

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-11 07:56:10

pazu

How polite (or rude) is くれ ?

I was reading today's edition of Yookoso's Grammar a Day, about 下さい. Near the end, it says:

kure, the imperative form of kureru, can also be used in place of kudasai in informal male speech.[Vte/Vneg nai de] kure is the least polite request form.

I got confused about how polite exactly is kure. Is it politer than not using anything, or ruder than that? I.e., what is politer? 早く言って or 早く言ってくれ ?

--
手加減せずに私の日本語を直してください

#2 2007-01-11 08:09:36

indigoharp

Re: How polite (or rude) is くれ ?

Just going on a gut feeling here, not anything I saw in a textbook, but if anyone other than my husband said "kure" to me I would be offended.  I say it to him and he says it to me, but it's all in fun and with a smile and we both know it.

I don't know that its POLITE not to say anything at all, but if someone (especially a non-ntive speaker) made a request of me with nothing at all, I probably would barely even notice.  "kure" sounds kind of macho and rude, and I'd only say it to someone I was REALLY REALLY close with, as a half-joke, if you know what I mean.

#3 2007-01-11 08:42:21

pazu

I know what you mean, indigoharp, and many thanks for the explanation!

--
手加減せずに私の日本語を直してください

#4 2007-01-12 03:40:02

Yokohama

if anyone other than my husband said "kure" to me I would be offended.

I think your husband must be a lucky man.
I can say "...shite?", but I've never said "...shitekure" to my wife, and If said so I couldn't think I was able to be in my house.

#5 2007-01-12 11:22:19

Same here... Couldn't imagine to use くれ at home.
Although my ex-GF used it all the time, and with her it was no problem, I even called her お前 wink

#6 2007-01-13 03:20:07

indigoharp

I get called お前 too, but so does my mother-in-law... LOL

Board footer