Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

To address questions and improvements for the Japanese Grammar Guide as well as topics concerning Japanese in general.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-21 10:51:45

bubblebath

Simple Guest Book

I'm just curiuous with the backgrounds of the Japanese learners visiting the forum.
If you don't mind, would you write them down?
This is simply designed. I'm welcome to the comment of guests too.

1)your country
2)your mother tongue
3)your motive for studying Japanese.
4)any comment

Thanks very much indeed.

Last edited by bubblebath (2007-08-21 11:25:54)

Please correct my English.

#2 2007-08-21 11:30:28

pazu

Re: Simple Guest Book

Mother Tongue: Portuguese
Motivation: I love Japanese culture and society, and dream about living there one day.
Comments: Japanese grows on me. The more I study, the more I like it. I'm determined to keep studying.

--
手加減せずに私の日本語を直してください

#3 2007-08-21 12:08:21

richvh

1) USA
2) English
3) Had a crush on a Japanese exchange student in high school.  A few years later, I was stationed in Japan and wanted to be able to read the manga I bought out in town.  Fast forward a quarter century, and I wanted to read and understand Inuyasha in the original, so I dug my old reference books out of the attic, bought some more, and haven't looked back.  (Strangely, I still haven't bought any Japanese-edition Inuyasha manga.)

Richard VanHouten
[url=http://www.citlink.net/~richvh]ゆきの物語[/url]

#4 2007-08-21 12:17:38

Koryo

[skip this post, please; I'm still editing, um, I mean composing]
1) your country
Canada

2) your mother tongue
English

3) your motive for studying Japanese.
1. I find language beautiful in its expression and the diversity thereof.
2. I want to understand the nature of all things.  Don't ask; just accept: the explanation was getting too long (I was getting too lazy).
3. I feel dumb knowing only one language.
4. Most of all, 十年振りの欲しいのは日本語を習うこと。 I really have no idea why, and I don't intend to ask.

4) any comment

Last edited by Koryo (2007-08-24 10:43:24)

「正しい判断は経験から生まれ、経験は間違った判断から生まれる。」

#5 2007-08-21 12:38:18

taekk
Administrator

Ha ha. You guys probably heard from me a bunch of times already but here goes.

1)your country
Depends. Country of birth: S. Korea, Citizen of US

2)your mother tongue
Depends. Korean is my first, English is my most proficient.

3)your motive for studying Japanese.
Foreign language requirement for college.

4)any comment
日本語を勉強するのがとても面白かった。

それは、よくなくなくない?

#6 2007-08-21 14:25:41

Landei

1) Germany (born in the eastern part, the former GDR)

2) German (pretty much the standard German, no fancy idiom)

3) I never had the intend to study it. I looked at the language when I started to play Shougi. Japanese grammer is somehow fascinating (maybe especially for IT people). So it's neither the country nor manga/anime, just the language and the script. I'm a lazy person, so nobody is more surprised than me that learning Japanese still makes fun...

難しくなければ、誰もが出来る

#7 2007-08-21 14:37:07

scout

1) your country
USA

2) your mother tongue
English

3) your motive for studying Japanese.
Back in middle and high school, I studied French for a total of six years.  I really enjoyed it, but I found that I didn't really have the time to keep it up during college.  Fast forward to grad school, and I found myself deprived of anything remotely related to art or culture -- it was all engineering all the time.  I've also been amazed by the fact that as a native English speaker, I'm in a small minority here.  (At least among graduate students -- the majority of undergrads are native English speakers, but I don't have too much interaction with them outside of Japanese classes.)  It was an interesting experience to be around so many people who'd mastered a second language well enough that they could go to a graduate school where that language was used.  Around the same point in time, a friend of mine started showing me Inuyasha.  I was intrigued by both the sound of the language and the writing system.

At that point, I thought Japanese would be a great way to get back in touch with the more artsy side of myself that I'd sortof lost after high school.  I really wanted to mix something in so I wasn't just focusing on engineering all day.  I've always wanted to become fluent in a second language (and get away from the stereotypes of Americans never learning other languages.) 

From there it's really taken on a life of its own.  I've found many interesting books that I want to be able to read better, and met a number of friends who I'd like to be able to talk to better.

Last edited by scout (2007-08-21 14:37:52)

#8 2007-08-21 14:57:20

modernic2007

1) Born in: Kafreddawwar (a suburb near Alexandria.), Egypt.
2) Residental Country: KSA
3)Movitation: Interest and I'm thinking of moving to Tokyo, too.
4) Japanese is interesting.

Last edited by modernic2007 (2007-08-21 15:00:48)

Sincerely,
[b][color=green]M[/color][color=red][i]I[/i][/color][color=green]C[/color]07[/b]

#9 2007-08-21 15:33:34

Faumdano

1) Born and raised in Ontario, Canada
2) English

3) A friend lent me some movie (I can't remember what it was exactly) that was subbed rather than dubbed. I remember watching it and really enjoying the sound and texture of Japanese. I really hadn't had much exposure to the sound of Japanese up to that point and I found it quite charming. Moreover, there were bits and pieces of written Japanese in places that were read aloud. I began to notice a pattern in that some of the "symbols" were always read the same way (kana). For some reason I found this fascinating and began to investigate.

Before learning anything about Japanese grammar, I learned to read and write all the kana and began to investigate what makes kanji "tick". From there I discovered Tae Kim's guide and have found myself enamored with the language ever since. All this began about... 2 - 2.5 years ago. I'm not sure what it is, but the grammar, the writing, the sound of the language, nearly everything about Japanese was so different from English that it just seemed utterly fascinating.

4) Before feeling myself compelled to learn Japanese, I always thought learning a second language would be much more difficult than it has been in practice so far. We're required to take a certain amount of French in school here in Canada and I always found it annoying at best. Maybe it was the fact we were forced to learn it, or maybe it was something else, but it really turned me off learning a second language. Thankfully, that's changed.

As for Japanese now, I think I'm nearing the point where time spent in Japan would be of great benefit. So, with any luck, I'll probably have the chance to spend some time there 5-6 months from now. How long? Well, I guess that all depends on what I end up doing there and how I'm enjoying myself.

蒔かぬ種は生えぬ

#10 2007-08-21 15:42:13

愛の天使

1) The Republic of Croatia (Republika Hrvatska)

2) Croatian language

3) I actually never intented or had idea to study Japanese. It happened by "chance/fate/destiny" tongue .
So, one day I found a good site with original japanese 美少女戦士セーラームーン video clips, and downloaded them. The quality was somewhat not great, but I was lucky to finnaly find some clips. I dunno how many days/weeks later, I wanted to check back on that site to see if they put some more clips or if there are some clips on other sections of the page. (I think that site was named "www.dragonworldz.net" , or somewhat, but I searched for it much later, and couldn't find the site anymore.) So, I browsed the site, and in the left margins, there were some links to other sections of the page.
The 3 I remember went somewhat like this:
a) japanese words/vocabulary (contained words for members of family, and something else)
b) japanese grammar? (I think there was a tiny bit of grammar too, not sure)
c) japanese writing (there were hiragana, katakana and some kanji pics, and I got amazed right away)
As a matter of fact, I started writing hiragana the very same day, immediately smile.
Well, my first japanese language page, where I learned hiragana and katakana (awesome resources) was www.thejapanesepage.com , really helpful page. ( I found out about Tae-Kim's site much much much much much much much muchhhhhhhh later >.>>> )
Anyway, this site I wrote above is really great, it's maintained by a male person who married a Japanese woman, and they also have a GREAT online store, selling many manga, all kinds of japanese magazines, books, electronic dictionaries, and MUCH more. I bought my manga from their store smile
check it out: http://www.thejapanshop.net/ (EDIT: I fixed this link)

So, I sticked to Japanese language only because of anime smile
If anime would suddenly disappear, I'd ditch Jap. lang. in no time!
Why? Japanese language is very interesting, but without animes, it would mean nothing at all to me... Animes are something that inspired me every day, and still do (note: when I talk about "animes", I don't mean all animes, I ONLY mean my 14 favorite animes that I all met by chance smile ), something that gives me strength in the toughest times, something that gave me love in a way, love I couldn't get from my parents or from friends I almost never had. (I could count my total number of friends I had on my 2 hands, and nowadays, none of them remained my friend)
ANYWAY, I am now continuedly learning Jap. lang. because I want to understand animes better, and also, because Jap. lang. is the most beautiful of all languages!

4) I have some other stuff to discuss, I will create a thread in "other japanese stuff" forum section, so check there soon~

Last edited by 愛の天使 (2007-08-21 16:15:20)

#11 2007-08-21 18:42:32

pink~hime

1) Canada
2) Hindi, Punjabi are my first. But im better at english now
3)I've always had an interest in foreign languages, and a few books got me hooked on the culture and language.Now i learn it so one day i can live there.

Last edited by pink~hime (2007-08-21 18:42:45)

うまい書くことは、思いつけない。まぁ、変なことはいっぱいあるけど・・

#12 2007-08-21 19:16:42

taniwha

1 Canada (born in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, grew up in Medicine Hat, Alberta), New Zealand & Australia
2 English, C (probably better at C)
3 I liked the sound of Japanese when I heard it in some anime. I decided I wanted to know how accurate the subtitles were (not very!), and now I can't imagine not continuing to learn Japanese.
4 日本語が大好き

Leave others their otherness. -- Aratak
There is no can't. -- Duun

#13 2007-08-21 20:08:43

我流チン

1)your country: Australia
2)your mother tongue: English
3)your motive for studying Japanese.: There must be one around here somewhere
4)any comment: 継続は力なり (ほんとうに?)

・・・・・・・・・・
If the going is slow, you have time to admire the flowers.
よろしければ、日本語の間違いを直していただけますか?
[color=blue]「幸せとお弁当なのよ」[/color]

#14 2007-08-22 00:14:13

JKeyz

1. USA
2. English
3. What sparked my interest was I met a Japanese girl and we dated for a month. I'm only 15. While dating her I met one of her friends in a grade above me (my senpai), and he could speak fluent Japanese. He is actually a native speaker. I asked him why he could speak it since he didn't look Japanese. He said he had a little Japanese in him from his great great (great x3?) grandmother down his family line through a grandfather from Latvia. His family cannot speak Japanese.
    However, he learned Japanese from a Japanese friend (and friend's family) at a very young age (about 2-4 years old), and learned it about the same time he learned English. His friend moved away, so he spent many years never using the language. Because he never used it his vocabulary skills were weak. When he was about 10, he watched DBZ and he met a girl who got him interested in Japanese. He didn't have to study much grammar since he already knew the language. He mainly studied writing and vocabulary, and he became proficient in just a few months.

I had always wanted to learn something other than languages like Spanish. I had a Japanese girlfriend, and my friends story inspired me to have an interest in the language. Even though it was much easier for him I want to be able to speak like him.
I also watch very little anime, but it is interesting to watch and understand it. I also like the sound and "flow" of the language.

I also possibly plan to go to a Japanese college, or to one through a foreign exchange program.

4. I  have been studying for almost 2 years now. I think I am at about an lower intermediate level. My listening/speaking ability is weaker than my reading/writing.

Last edited by JKeyz (2007-08-22 00:16:26)

#15 2007-08-22 02:35:13

Kowarisuki

1. Offspring of USSR. Not a member of communist party. big_smile
2. Russian.
3. Studying abroad I was thinking about starting to learn my 2nd foreign language but studying another European language could have been a step back for me since English alone is quite enough for Europe. Previously I had relations with Asian girls and my short dating with a Korean girl definitely was associated with resulting choice. For the first time I saw Japanese women and heard live speech there. I was so deeply impressed (with both smile) and after I had recovered from impression, I decided to try Japanese. But I paid too much attention to it and as a result I failed 3 modules out of 6 and was within an inch of being expelled from uni. It was better for me to attend Japanese Centre Library with so nice librarians rather than to go to boring finance class. Hopefully I came to my senses at the proper time and graduated without problems.
4. Not too much interested in Japanese culture though. Firmly believe people don't need to know any language to understand each other.

Last edited by Kowarisuki (2007-08-22 05:22:27)

芸術は長く人生は短し

#16 2007-08-29 18:20:35

MoodSwinger

1)Mexico (born their, lives in USA)
2)Spanish

3)I wanted to learn a third language and i found Japanese in the 9th grade. However after a couple of months i lost interest. I didn't know Japanese dramas, mangas, and animes existed until high school. After discovering Korean dramas i wanted to learn Korean. I gave it a try for a couple of months in 10th grade. I'm the kinda person that loses interest very quickly because she finds something else more interesting, so i jump from thing to thing. Lucky my friends got me back on track. I was with them in the library and decided to check out some How to write and read Korean books. When they saw that i did they told me to learn Japanese instead. They, you can say invited me, asked if i wanted to learn Japanese along with them. They wanted to move to Japan right after graduating high school and wanted me to join them. They're the type of friends who don't want to be seperated from their bfs or just plain old friends. I wanted to join them so i started to learn Japanese and let go of Korean. Later on i may go back to Korean, right after i master or can speak and write Japanese well. I've been trying to stick to one thing and get it done instead of living it in the middle unfinished. I've been learning Japanese for a few months thanks to the help of websites, animes, mangas, and J-dramas. I still watch and listen to Korean dramas and try to learn a little here and their but not as much as Japanese. I'm trying not to juggle more than two or one thing at the same time, but it's really hard. i'm a multi-tasker -_-' and that'll never change, i guess.
(In the beginning it's about the past, a few month ago. Towards the end it's the present.)

4)it's hard to stick to it, but I'm hanging in their.

#17 2008-06-01 16:39:16

Oishii_Sushi

(1 My country;
USA

(2 Mother tongue:
English

(3 Motive
Once I saw the anime show "Inuyasha" I've always wanted to animate or be a mangaka, so I went to work.Later on I discovered that anime was "invented" in Japan (let me remind you I was very new to anime), as time passed and I was more knowledgeable about  Japan I soon become obsessed with it's culture and language.Then, I started to take an interest in learning their language (I wanted to move to Japan to be a mangaka an still do).As part of my entertainment I also started to watch Japanese dramas, which made me want to become an actress(Why not I thought I was always praised by my drama teachers on my acting skills). So thats my motive for learning japanese.

#18 2008-06-02 04:34:02

QKlilx

1. USA

2. English

3. I started because it was the only interesting language one out of the four my high school offered. I continued after high school out of cultural interest. I plan to resume study (haven't done so for a year and a half but I speak almost every day) either this fall or sometime in 2010. My reasons for studying Japanese at this point are out of language interest and providing myself a means of having a decent relationship with a Japanese girl should such an opportunity arise. Indeed, my cultural interest has faded to a great extent, perhaps from working with tourists for the past 2 years.

4. My goal is to become proficient in Korean within the next year or two. If I haven't resumed Japanese studies by then, I will go full force into it until I am proficient in it. If I have resumed by then, I will still go at full force. tongue

Notice that I did not say "fluent." But it would be nice if I could reach something along that line.

taniwha wrote:

2 English, C (probably better at C)

C?

#19 2008-06-02 05:13:33

taniwha

Programming language. Most software relies on it one way or another (irrespective of which language that software is written in).

Leave others their otherness. -- Aratak
There is no can't. -- Duun

#20 2008-06-11 04:11:54

Noé

1) France
2) French
3)
* Otaku
* Interested in linguistics/languages

#21 2008-06-13 01:02:47

1) Finland (have't been there for quite a while, though)
2) Finnish
3) 時代映画, Martial arts, culture, like the sound, women...
4) My first Japanese teacher was a finn who grew up in Japan; his parents were missionaries spreading the gospel somewhere in Kyushu. Some of the kids in my class asked if he could tell us something about Japanese religions, and his response was "Why??? They're pagans!"

#22 2008-06-13 23:32:02

Immenor

1)USA
2)English
3)My friend was learning it, I was bored, started to learn it, then it turned into a obsession. (Which led to interest in other languages and linguism overall)
4)I have yet to have a Japanese class, although that will change soon. I Think, part of what led me to want to learn a language real badly was the horrific methods of teaching implemented in my high school Spanish classes. Since then, i've grown interested in methods of teaching as well.

#23 2008-06-13 23:37:35

Kscnoko

Tell me about it. The current Spanish teaching system I've encountered in America so far really doesn't make one learn anything.

Last edited by Kscnoko (2008-06-13 23:37:43)

#24 2008-06-16 05:10:55

Bast

1) France
2) French
3) I don't know really why i like this language. I think it started when i saw Ring... I am not a really big fan of anime and manga but i like the way the language works...
4) I am starting today to continue the french translation. And, i am a beginner in japanese...

- Bast

#25 2008-07-22 08:25:01

charyuop

Sorry didn't see this thread earlier sad

1) Living in USA
2) First Language Italian (where I was born and raised).
3) Why Japanese? Since when I was a little kid I watched anime (those are the main cartoon in Italy now and it was back the, almost 40 years ago) so I soon started having contact with Japanese writing. When I turned 12 I got my first computer and back then there were 2 computers going for the most: Commodor 16 and MSX. I got the second one, Japanese made computer with games made for Japanese people and imported from Japan, thus all in 日本語. I started back then learning a little bit of Japanese, but too early to do it alone. I learnt something to get ahead in RPGs' and then quit. Now after 20+ years I got my books back in my hands and started again.

A question for Taekk. You wrote 日本語を勉強するのがとても面白かった, why is it boring now?

Last edited by charyuop (2008-07-22 08:25:32)

女神になりたい!!!!コロコロポロン

Board footer