Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

To address questions and improvements for the Japanese Grammar Guide as well as topics concerning Japanese in general.

You are not logged in.

#51 2007-06-13 18:38:09

Koryo

Re: OpenOffice / PDF port not done, but progressing

Hmm, no joy with CJK LaTeX and vertical typesetting for me.  I'm probably just dense.^^;  Thanks for the pointers, csu333.

However, I think I found part of the solution I was looking for. ^_^
pTeX
Sample 1 (I want this typeface. ; ; [edit: I think I found it . . . for 27,300円 . . .])
Sample 2
Now I just have to convince it to play nicely.

Last edited by Koryo (2007-06-13 20:41:48)

「正しい判断は経験から生まれ、経験は間違った判断から生まれる。」

#52 2007-06-15 15:21:01

blackpuma

I think the ultimate solution would be something along the lines of a single XML source with transforms to HTML and LaTeX.

Still don't have time to dive into whether I can get Japanese LaTeX on my Mac. sad   (Software release coming up.)

日 月 猫 星

#53 2007-06-26 04:20:07

blackpuma

Update: Ha! Stumbled onto the MacTeX package tonight, which is contains XeTeX. Supposedly I can use it with TeXShop to do CJK. I don't know about furigana yet. I installed the package but haven't tried running anything — it's 2:19 a.m.

Still need time to look into it further. I want to finish updating the OO doc to a more recent rev of the Guide first (about half-way done); that would be more useful for people in the mean time.

Sorry this is so far down the priority list. It's on the list at least.

日 月 猫 星

#54 2007-06-28 22:14:41

taekk
Administrator

I wish there was a better way to keep the OO doc up to date. But I'm eager to see the updated version. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

-Tae Kim

それは、よくなくなくない?

#55 2007-06-29 00:37:22

我流チン

鷲のたまご looks to be using rubi - I don't know how to determine what was used to produce it, but someone here might be able to work it out.

・・・・・・・・・・
If the going is slow, you have time to admire the flowers.
よろしければ、日本語の間違いを直していただけますか?
[color=blue]「幸せとお弁当なのよ」[/color]

#56 2007-07-01 20:00:46

blackpuma

I found the massive MacTex package and installed it. Using XeLaTeX I successfully produced both 漢字 and ふりがな from the default LaTeX template.

Say, ``Hello!''
{\J 「\ruby{今日}{こんにち}は!」}.

I'm still under time stress, but at least I have a clear path and tools that work. OpenOffice documents are ZIP files that contain XML documents, so it should be possible to transform the XML. I've not done that for a long time and don't really remember spit about XSLT. I'll have to go and get new LaTeX books since I lost mine in a fire last winter.

日 月 猫 星

#57 2007-07-02 19:15:18

michaelkane

Arigatou !!! Arigatou!!!! ARIGATOU !!!!!

where are the BB codes to make the font big?

#58 2007-07-23 18:18:06

vitoreiji

Let me say first that you guys rock! God, I've dreamed of this PDF so much...
Thank you blackpuma!!! And thank you Tae Kim, of course smile

Now, I'd like to say that you are missing a ふりがな in page 23, for 魚 (example 1).

Also, could anyone show me the .tex files?

I think the translations in margin notes would be the best solution, plus the final glossary.

I'm a little confused now, can the XML files generated by OO be used to generate HTML and TeX files?

Ubuntu rox!

#59 2007-07-23 19:19:09

richvh

PLaTeX does Japanese, vertical text, and furigana.  (You might need an extra package for the furigana, I forget.)

Richard VanHouten
[url=http://www.citlink.net/~richvh]ゆきの物語[/url]

#60 2007-10-07 08:05:32

Kowarisuki

PDF is very handy. But its TOC doesn't have working links to parts (Adobe Acrobat can do proper TOC linking). Nevertheless thanks Blackpuma & Tae Kim! smile

芸術は長く人生は短し

#61 2007-10-15 06:58:08

Atreya

The pdf is great! Although the link in the main site does not link to the pdf that is posted in this thread. Anyway, is it possible to use the font in the following file - http://www.geocities.com/atreya2011/Book1.pdf for the japanese text in the pdf file? It is the font that is used in a lot of japanese text books and called a kyokashotai font but I am sure that everyone knows that already ^_^ I can upload the font as well since I have it. :)

#62 2007-10-15 17:55:15

Faumdano

It's probably more useful to stick to fonts used widely in Japanese publications: some variant on the minchou family of fonts. I've never seen that font used in day-to-day reading material.

The sort of font I see used most widely:
http://faumdano.googlepages.com/IMG_pg27.jpg
http://faumdano.googlepages.com/IMG_1106.jpg

蒔かぬ種は生えぬ

#63 2007-10-16 00:54:16

Atreya

Faumdano wrote:

It's probably more useful to stick to fonts used widely in Japanese publications: some variant on the minchou family of fonts. I've never seen that font used in day-to-day reading material.

The sort of font I see used most widely:
http://faumdano.googlepages.com/IMG_pg27.jpg
http://faumdano.googlepages.com/IMG_1106.jpg

Yes those are variants of the minchou family of fonts. The Kyokashotai font is widely used in a lot of text books like I mentioned in my previous post, Japanese Textbooks for primary and middle school mostly (in Japan afaik). And besides, that font is used in JLPT examination papers as well. I will post a screenshot within a few hours.

#64 2007-10-16 01:04:34

Faumdano

My point is that the real world is not a place of tests and textbooks -- the most common fonts in the "real world" are from the minchou family; not that it hurts to be exposed to a variety of fonts. I just don't see the need to use the typical "textbook" font (it resembles handwriting more than it does typeset text).

蒔かぬ種は生えぬ

#65 2007-10-16 10:28:52

Atreya

Faumdano wrote:

My point is that the real world is not a place of tests and textbooks -- the most common fonts in the "real world" are from the minchou family; not that it hurts to be exposed to a variety of fonts. I just don't see the need to use the typical "textbook" font (it resembles handwriting more than it does typeset text).

Well, since this is a "grammar guide", I thought a kyokashotai font would suit it better than a minchou font. Anyway, although the main webpage isn't updated, Mr. Kim has finished section 7, both the Kansai Dialect Section and the Conjugation Charts section. Here is the link... - http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=index

Scroll all the way to the bottom :)

#66 2008-01-16 08:59:10

modernic2008

I like that PDF file! Thanks for being born, Blackpuma!!!

______Signature starts here and ends on the other guy's post's beginning_______________
[b][color=green]M[/color][color=red]I[/color][color=green]C[/color]08[/b]
[url=http://modernic2007.googlepages.com/somethingus.html]Furigana[/url]

#67 2010-05-05 16:05:24

mepcotterell

blackpuma wrote:

I think the ultimate solution would be something along the lines of a single XML source with transforms to HTML and LaTeX.

Still don't have time to dive into whether I can get Japanese LaTeX on my Mac. sad   (Software release coming up.)

Best idea ever...

日本語の話し方を学んでいる。

Board footer