Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

To address questions and improvements for the Japanese Grammar Guide as well as topics concerning Japanese in general.

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-25 09:45:38

jaime

Just curious..

Hi all,

Was just browsing through the forum and reading in amazement at all the japanese (questions, answers, expressions, translations) being written.  I am currently on a break from class, it has only been two weeks and I already feel my limited knowledge about the language slippig away from my brain sad  So I am kind of curious about you folks that post on this forum :

1.  How long have you been studying this language?  All of you seem so competent in it already smile
2.  How often do you use it ?  How many hours per week do you spend on studying it, especially for those who are not currently in Japan now?

I ask because I'm wondering how much of an effort do I need to put into this, really appreciate your sharing.

Jaime

#2 2005-11-25 17:26:54

Faumdano

Re: Just curious..

1. My sign up date for this forum roughly corresponds to the date I began learning Japanese. So, that would make it... about six months of study so far, though I did learn the kana before I stumbled upon this site.

2. How often do I use it? Well... I think my post count says everything that needs to be said for that question. Now, for the other question, I usually try to spend 2-3 hours per day studying Japanese in some fashion. While I say 'study', I don't really view it as so. Maybe I'm sick or something, but, for some reason I really enjoy working on improving my Japanese.

蒔かぬ種は生えぬ

#3 2005-11-25 17:43:29

goutetsu

1. I started learning some 6 years ago.

2. Everytime I can. (?) I don't really study much currently... Depends on what you define as studying though.

┌───────────────────┐
    俺はスペシャリストではない…… 素人だ
└───────────────────┘

#4 2005-11-25 20:17:09

taniwha

I started studying Japanese 2 years ago, but things didn't really start taking off till about 6 months ago (I think it was me trying to answer a lot of Faumdano's questions that got things going: I think he's now slightly ahead of me). I also got into raw anime and my listening skills have gone through the roof (got a long way to go yet, though).

Study wise, anything from a couple hours per day participating in this forum to 10 hour marathon runs of "raw" (no subs, or just ignoring the subs when I have no choice) anime. I also sometimes spend some time (1/2h to couple hours) reading my "effective japanese usage dictionary", and by that, I mean I read both the japanese text, work out what it means, then read the english text (and often groan at the horrible translations tongue). However, like Faumdano and goutetsu, I wouldn't really call it study: I enjoy hanging out here, I haven't seen any anime I haven't enjoyed (though the Escaflowne movie was a real killer right after the series, so different), and the reading is starting to become just that: reading (though I still hit the dictionary often).

Leave others their otherness. -- Aratak
There is no can't. -- Duun

#5 2005-11-25 21:11:59

I had dabbled in Japanese to a very cursory extent for a month or two, but it wasn't until about August of this year that I found some truly competent resources by means of which to learn Japanese and became truly interested in learning Japanese.

Japanese really isn't half as difficult as everyone has made it out to be.  Ignore the hype.  Japanese's reputation for being difficult has mostly come from beer-guzzling, dumbass-jock, college students who have no real interest in learning Japanese and who have no linguistic adroitness.  Just keep an open mind and don't imagine that Japanese grammar has to be like English grammar.  Also, nothing will destroy your chances of learning the language like believing that you are not capable and being negative.

I highly recommend the following resources:

A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (I just bought this about a week ago, and it has answered a lot of questions that I had had about Japanese Grammar that none had been able to answer.)  (I fixed the link)

A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar  (I fixed the link)

Tae Kim's Excellently Excellent Guide to Japanese(obviously)

Nihongo Resources

The author's of Nihongoresources.com guide (I just found this book.  It is free and quite good.  There is a fair number of mistakes (mostly terminological) in it, but it is still pretty great.)

WWWJDIC

Watch some episodes of Bleach

More Bleach

Lunar Anime.

Last edited by ReceptviCanatvr (2005-11-26 01:52:46)

#6 2005-11-26 19:45:23

nipponman

1.It will be eight years next august for me
2.I don't study much now, but I use it fairly often.

A good amount of your life should go into it in the beginning, not so much near the end-which, by the way, never comes. smile

#7 2005-11-26 20:12:09

So you started learning when you were ten, Nipponman?!  You're 17, right?  Wow.

Last edited by ReceptviCanatvr (2005-11-26 20:14:47)

#8 2005-11-26 20:22:38

Jaime, it occurs to me that I didn't answer your second question.

I read Japanese most days, if only one sentence of it.  I don't study as much as I should, though.  Instead of studying, I am always on these fora, reading text pulled from Legend of Mana, arguing with Kate, arguing with Dally, arguing with Nipponman, or something along those lines... smile

As for speaking Japanese, I never do that because I don't have anyone with whom I can speak it... sad  None of the people whom I know has any interest in anything even mildly intellectually challenging, let alone in Japanese.

#9 2005-11-27 13:56:06

nipponman

So you started learning when you were ten, Nipponman?!  You're 17, right?  Wow.

Yup 17, 'bout to be 18 in two weeks though. Its been a long haul, fun though.

#10 2005-11-28 02:15:29

jaime

Wow,

Thanks for all your sharing, really encouraging to see the time and effort that you all have placed into it. Faumdano さん is especially impressive, makes me feel like I definitely need to buck up on my studies to catch up smile  Its good to have folks here to come to when I have doubts and questions, thanks a lot.

ReceptviCanatvr さん, you are quite amazing too, thanks for the links.  I agree that Japanese is not that difficult until one can't master it, but as with anything, it takes time and effort.  So I got to pay the price if I want to achieve the standard I desire.  I already have an edge as I know Kanji (Chinese), so I just got to figure out the readings and writings as I can guess the jist of the word most of the time.

Definitely I am more determined than ever to improve my japanese seeing all that you have acomplished smile

頑張って,
jaime

#11 2005-11-28 09:22:30

Landei

I can't tell when I "really" started with Japanese, may be a year ago. In school I had some problems with languages (try to learn Russian), but it seems that I enjoy if there is no kind of pressure - no teacher, no tests, no deadline. So I do it just for fun, and I've the feeling of making progress - not fast, but much faster than expected regarding the little work I do...

難しくなければ、誰もが出来る

Board footer