Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

To address questions and improvements for the Japanese Grammar Guide as well as topics concerning Japanese in general.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-19 03:00:30

magetoo

One annoying thing, and a couple of typos

I've been reading though the basic and essential sections, and I came across one slight annoyance, plus a few typos and such.

The annoyance:

Every page tries to load a Creative Commons logo from creativecommons.org .  This isn't ideal if you're reading the guide offline - you don't see the logo, but more importantly your browser might start throwing error messages at you every time you open up a new section, which is what Opera did to me after telling it to use "offline mode".

The rest of the things I noticed.  All are present in the wiki version as well.

address.html :

section: Referring to others with "you"

> 「あなた」 is also an old-fashioned way for women to refer to their husband or lover. Unless you are a middle-aged women with a Japanese husband, ...

("women" instead of "woman")

compound.html :

section: Expressing reason or causation using 「から」 and 「ので」

> (2) [...] - Is that why you didn't go to the party.

Question mark not present?  (Unpossible!)

conditional.html :

section: Past conditional using 「たら(ば)」

Examples

> (A) 友達に会えれば、買い物に行きます。
> (B) 友達に会えたら、買い物に行きます。

(Surely the second example should be 会ったら and not 会えたら, unless there is something I'm not being told?)

haveto.html :

section: Expressing things that must be done

> "But I already pointed out that 「いけない」 and 「ならない」 must always be negative, so this is not correct."

(I don't see it mentioned previous to the above sentence; at least, not on that page)

numbers.html :

section: Numbers and Amounts

> I recommend you digest only a little bit of this section at a time because it's awfully a lot of things to memorize.

I guess it's supposed to be "it's an awful lot".  "awefully a lot" looks like something I'd do when picking at a paragraph too much.  :-)

And that's as far as I've gotten.  Thanks for a great guide, Tae (and everyone else who has worked on it).

#2 2009-01-19 07:09:44

運転者

Re: One annoying thing, and a couple of typos

「あなた」 is also an old-fashioned way for women to refer to their husband or lover. Unless you are a middle-aged women with a Japanese husband, ...

("women" instead of "woman")

ummm.... a woman to refer to her husband or lover (preferred, as it is not ambiguous) /// women to refer to their husbands or lovers (OK, but a little ambiguous).
("women to refer to their husband or lover" is not grammatically incorrect, by the way: it simply implies a polygamous relationship.) "a middle aged women" is definitely incorrect, however.

> (A) 友達に会えれば、買い物に行きます。
> (B) 友達に会えたら、買い物に行きます。

(Surely the second example should be 会ったら and not 会えたら, unless there is something I'm not being told?)

Dealt with well nigh two years agone, yonder However, there seems to be no difference in meaning, (会ったら、会えたら)according to the IME pop-up assistant, but there is a difference (at least in the wording of the definitions) between 会ったら・会えたら and 合ったら・合えたら

Last edited by 運転者 (2009-01-19 13:00:13)

ーーーーーーーーーー

「デェ、この微分[color=gray]びぶん[/color]・積分[color=gray]せきぶん[/color]とかゆうのは、足し算[color=gray]たしざん[/color]・引き算[color=gray]ひきざん[/color]とはどう違[color=gray]ちが[/color]うのだ?」 白雪

#3 2009-01-20 13:01:06

magetoo

運転者 wrote:

"a middle aged women" is definitely incorrect, however.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.  Should have highlighted it perhaps.

(Surely the second example should be 会ったら and not 会えたら, ...)

Dealt with well nigh two years agone, yonder

Ah.  Oh.  Well, glad I'm not the only one to trip up on that I suppose.  :-)

Since we know it is confusing for at least some of us, perhaps changing the mouseover text from 会う to 会える would help make it a bit clearer?  Just a thought.

#4 2009-07-07 14:20:51

taekk
Administrator

Thanks, typos are fixed.

I'll consider removing the logo but it's an awful lot of pages so I'm too lazy to remove it for now.

-Tae Kim

それは、よくなくなくない?

Board footer