Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Forum

To address questions and improvements for the Japanese Grammar Guide as well as topics concerning Japanese in general.

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-07-23 14:57:31

vitoreiji

Re: Simple Guest Book

1)your country: born, raised and still living in Brazil;
2)your mother tongue: Portuguese;
3)your motive for studying Japanese: I like languages, and there's the whole family thing (I'm a 日系);
4)any comment: amazingly, I started liking anime *after* I started studying Japanese.

#27 2008-07-24 06:32:53

Hinoeuma

Hello! First post and all. This is an excellent forum for a fine guide; I'm very glad I found it.

1)your country- US

2)your mother tongue- English

3)your motive for studying Japanese- inevitability.

Eh?

Well, almost every interest I've had has led me to think it would be a benefit. Architecture, soap making, herbalism, eco-friendly and minimalist design- for everything I like to study, I find examples of methods I like from Japan.

4)any comment- I've only been studying for a few weeks. I've memorized the Kana to the point where I can recognize them all fairly quickly, and am using the Benri Nihongo primer to practice writing them properly. I'll be starting on the Kanji next; I just ordered the first set of White rabbit cards. Hopefully studying Kanji will also help me improve my self discipline.

Last edited by Hinoeuma (2008-07-24 06:34:52)

君が笑う度に記念日
"Every time you laugh it's a day to treasure"

#28 2008-09-04 06:12:01

ViolaGirl

1) Country-US
2) Native tongue-English
3) Motive for studying Japanese: I used to think I HATED languages, because my mom made me take Spanish in 4th grade and I was just AWFUL at it... nothing STUCK. So for the longest time I thought I was just bad at languages. But in the middle of 8th grade I decided I was going to take Japanese in high school... my parents thought I was nuts, that I was making a mistake... that it'd be too hard. Best decision I ever made in my life. I found it easy and easy to remember, compared to Spanish. Since then I have also tried Russian, ASL, Chinese, and Korean. The only other language that would stick is Korean. I couldn't remember any Russian words for the life of me... I couldn't memorize them, and nothing would stick. Chinese I tried and it WAS fun but... it just wasn't sticking. Personally, I think deep down it has to do purely with interest. For some reason Japanese and Korean are (so far) the only languages that have sparked enough interest in me that the words in the language will stick and I will actually remember them. So if I had not discovered Japanese, I might have forever thought that I am just bad at foreign languages, when, in fact, this isn't the case at all. I'm quite good at those two at least.. there are just.. my languages. I'm not one of those people who can just learn 'any language.' I think it is the Japanese/Korean grammar that I like the most. It's the thing that links the two at the very least, since grammatically they are quite similar. Now I just keep studying Japanese because it makes me happy. Just getting to speak and use Japanese makes me happy... so why not do what makes me happy? And I'm finally taking a beginning Korean class at college (but it's rather easy right now because I know everything in the beginning, as I studied a little on my own for a year) and it's SO FUN! So really... I just love Japanese and Korean... but ESPECIALLY JAPANESE! 日本語が大好き!!!

Currently studying abroad in Korea and having a blast!

#29 2008-11-15 07:45:46

rrrrrray

1)your country - Canada (immigrated from China)

2)your mother tongue - Cantonese (and Mandarin)

3)your motive for studying Japanese.
There was a time when I get hooked in anime and wished I understand Japanese. Now that I don't watch them anymore, which means that I can spend the time to study Japanese instead of watching it wink.

Since I know Cantonese, Mandarin and English, I thought I should put them in good use and study Japanese!  I already know Kanji from Chinese, so I am already half done (just kidding, at least I'll have a much easier time). And many foreign words are borrowed from English, so it is kind of interesting when I encountered them.

4)any comment
I'll visit Japan one day!!

Last edited by rrrrrray (2008-11-15 07:46:52)

#30 2008-11-18 07:29:51

Raichu

Australia

English but we spoke Greek at home

Japanese was offered at school and appealed to me

some of my interests are Japanese: Pokemon, karate, anime (but this is coincidental)

#31 2009-01-01 20:59:27

Galdarren

1)your country - Hungary - the first in the whole topic!
2)mother tounge - Hungarian - what else should it be?
3)Motive for studying Japanese.: When I was very young, at the age of 6, I started to go to karate lessons - well, first it was kempo, but later shotokan, - and i really liked the culture of it. Besides, the whole mentality was pretty familiar to me big_smile Later that, i watched some anime, and decided to learn the language.
4) any comments - The japanese is much more easier for the hungarians sorry guys:D
And i'm gonna spend some time in japan for sure! (and for the girls and for the food:D)

#32 2009-01-03 05:49:10

No reason Japanese should be easier to Hungarians than it is to Finns tongue

#33 2009-01-06 18:35:40

Tael_

1)France
2)French
3)Studying it at the university
4)Many thanks to Tae Kim for this really useful guide !

#34 2009-02-06 04:11:33

Darkseed

The content of the previous message has no relevance with this thread, in addition to being posted in a language other than English for no reason.
A mod should delete it.

#35 2009-02-11 00:07:53

Sentinel

Interesting thread!

1) U.S.
2) Mandarin, English
3) I might come off as a little weird here, but I study Japanese mainly because of how it sounds. I used to be extremely passionate about singing and actually wanted to pursue a singing career, but after years in college (can't practice and train anywhere aside from the music building, really) and my inability to be proactive, I lost the passion. Listening to and speaking Japanese is like an outlet. Depending on the speaker, it can sound like the most beautiful language on earth (also, in general it's pleasant to listen to regardless of speaker), comparable to music for me. Speaking Japanese, while not exactly comparable to singing, is similarly pleasurable. For that reason, I'm extremely anal when it comes to speaking Japanese, and I'd say that I have no noticeable accent when I speak (who knows, though).

(Off-tangent)
What determines how much a person speaks without an accent? I used to think that maybe those with good ears speak better, thus, musicians -- especially singers -- should have the best pronunciation/intonation when it comes to foreign languages. After hearing John Mayer's (an American singer, for those of you who don't know) horrendous Japanese, I don't know anymore..
4) Tae (if you're reading this), I skipped three semesters worth of Japanese thanks to your guide. 愛している, sarang hae yo, wo ai ni.

#36 2009-04-19 18:48:52

Anonymous

1)your country
The Netherlands

2)your mother tongue
Dutch

I'm a NEET

4)any comment
I can't fully become a NEET unless I'm fluent in Japanese. Which means I will stay NEET for a very long time to come.

#37 2009-04-20 03:30:01

Hinoeuma

A neet?

君が笑う度に記念日
"Every time you laugh it's a day to treasure"

#38 2009-04-20 04:24:23

Internet Explorer 6.0

1) Australia
2) English
3) In school, I'd always wonder why people would groan about English classes being so boring. I love language. I love learning and using it, I love its subtleties, I love etymology. Paul Brians' Common Errors in English is my favourite thing on the internet and I've read it through a dozen times. I still remember the time I first learned that 'goodbye' came from 'God be with you', or when I spent a week messing with obsolete characters like thorn or wynn whenever I wrote something. I really get a kick out of things like that.

So I figured; why not learn another language? I had already flirted briefly with Japanese in my earlier school years as part of the curriculum, but it was nothing serious and I hadn't touched it since. So, years later I begin studying it again earnestly, and it was like having sex for the first time all over again; learning that じゃありません is actually several verbs conjugated together, finding interesting or amusing kanji compounds (e.g. sophism [屁理屈] = fart 屁 + logic 理屈, crisis [危機] = danger 危 + opportunity 機), and so on. Moreover, seeing how features of language both common and uncommon between English and Japanese were used similarly or differently ameliorated my understanding of my own mother tongue and of communication and language in general as well.

Aren't words wonderful?

#39 2009-06-17 22:49:30

I see... Thanks for sharing ...

#40 2009-06-19 17:18:40

Darkseed

MEG LANTE DELLA ROVERE wrote:

ASP[...]

Evapora coglione.

For the nice administrator here: wouldn't be possible to filter out this bot/spammer/whatever?

Back on the topic:

1)your country
Italy

2)your mother tongue
Italian

I'm fascinated by its complexity and radical diversity from my native language, also I fell in love with Japan's culture so learning Japanese language was the natural consequence.

4)any comment
I like anime and manga but I'm not one of those nuts who want to learn the language only for that .

#41 2009-08-14 12:58:37

Tess

1. USA
2. English
3. I have Japanese relatives I want to write to; college requirement-might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.
4. I learned to speak Japanese (somewhat) when I spent a few years in Japan when I was young, but didn't learn how to read or write kanji. I am in awe of people who learn it from scratch!

#42 2009-11-10 09:25:17

Izumi

1. Country - Brunei Darussalam
2. Mother Tongue - Bahasa Melayu (Malay)
3. Motive for studying Japanese - During my first visit to Japan last year, I only knew the most basic Japanese phrases and could only read Katakana at that time LOL. In other words, my Japan trip inspired me so much to learn the language and the Japanese culture. Besides, I'm actually currently unemployed (NEET), so that gives me all the time needed to self-study at home smile
4. Comments - I truly love this guide so much big_smile

#43 2009-11-25 23:21:01

Procion

1. Russia
2. Russian
3. Well, first of all, I'm interested in Japanese culture (anime, martial arts, Japanese history etc). Also, I like this language itself. Learning Japanese is difficult but very interesting. It has the unique writing system, specific grammar and beautiful pronounciation.

#44 2009-12-08 11:26:10

cde75

Mother Tongue: English (I am fluent in Spanish and have learned a little Hebrew as well)

Motivation: I have always been drawn toward Korean and Japanese.  I never took the time to learn it because life kept getting in the way.  So, I'm starting now with Japanese and hope to learn Korean in the future.

Comments: Right now I am freaking out wondering if I'll ever learn.  I'm just now starting to learn Hiragana and when I think about kanji, I start getting all panicky.  I found this site a couple days ago and am going to go through the grammar guide...I just hope I can do this!

#45 2010-05-26 05:36:56

Simonkaey

1) Australia, born here but of Czech and Kenyan heritage

2) English, although Czech was first language, cannot speak a word now.

3) Well, it started with the Manga and anime, then i got fascinated by the culture and felt the need to finish my high school years there... unfortunately i dont think thats going to happen. sad, Then i got fascinated by the games and software and technology etc. , Then it was the music, embarassing and true. But now i dont really know, everythiing draws me to the place, wanting to study at tokyo uni, wanting to wear the clothes, see the people and not be seen as a foreigner, wanting to read their stories, wanting to buy their awesome phones, get a japanese girlfriend! big_smile

4) Grammar guide has been awfully helpful, but i wouldnt have a clue to start a conversation with a Jap Person. sad

#46 2010-11-07 15:11:55

pedro

USA
English
High Asian community in Tacoma/Seattle

#47 2010-11-08 08:45:43

Jikagi

Born in Colombia/ live in the US
Spanish
My motivation is that in the soon future I'll be able to go there and experience the culture.

#48 2011-03-28 06:49:37

murasaki

hello all, i'm a new comer here smile.....

1. indonesia
2. indonesia
3. i love this languange since i watched naruto big_smile and i enjoyed the sounds of japanese

#49 2011-11-26 23:43:40

coyotejodido

1) Spain
2) Spanish
3) I became interested because of anime, manga and video games, so I guess I'm your stereotypical Japanese learner, but nowadays it's more because I just like it and intend to give it some use professionally.

#50 2011-11-28 12:24:46

Etana

1) USA

2) English

3) Where to start? Hmm, well I was originally turned onto anime a few years ago by a friend of mine who introduced me to to Gundam Wing and Gundam 00. However, I watched those in English because I preferred not to read the subs and I didn't watch hardly any others. Then this last year I decided to check out Naruto because this same friend of mine was into it. I originally had not been interested in it because I didn't particularly like Naruto's voice in English; he struck me as annoying and immature. So I started watching but was having trouble finding it legally for free in English, so I watched in Japanese instead. I found that while Naruto was still immature, he was a whole lot less annoying in Japanese; in fact I actually like his voice in Japanese. It wasn't until I watched another episode in English that I found out that I preferred all of the character's voices in Japanese. Though I watched several other anime series in English, I found that I prefer most anime series in Japanese because the English voices sound cliche and somewhat forced, if you know what I mean. As I watched more of them in Japanese I began to be able to identify some of the words which were more common, such as you or I, and I became interested in the differences in politeness. I was also interested whenever I encountered puns in Japanese, and in the many different nuances a word can have in Japanese, such as osoi or urusai. I began to investigate Japanese and was intrigued by the grammar. I love languages and etymology, and though I do want to be able to understand completely what is said in the shows I watch, I would not have stuck with learning Japanese if not for my love of this most interesting language.

4) I've also taken Spanish and Chinese. I like learning Japanese far more than Chinese because Chinese is such a tonal language, and for some reason I'm just not into that quite so much. While Japanese does have some tonal characteristics, it is not to the extent of other Asian languages such as Chinese or Korean. Also, I like the Kana which Chinese does not have. Though I like Spanish, I enjoy Japanese over it because Spanish is so similar to English that it didn't really feel like I was learning an entirely different language. I enjoy the different words and (from my perspective as an English speaker) the turned around grammar of the Japanese. I've always been interested in martial arts and just recently have started getting interested in other cultures and a language's relation to them. smile

Board footer