So you want to learn Japanese
Ok, I'm not going to go into all the reasons why Japanese is such a fun and rewarding language to learn because you're already here and interested in learning it. If you're still undecided or afraid that it's too hard, don't be! It can be one of the easier languages to learn in ways that will surprise you. So here's what you need to do to teach yourself Japanese and how to do it by using this site.
- Learn Hiragana and Katakana (the Japanese "alphabet").
- Learn vocabulary (with Kanji) and grammar with help from the either the Complete Guide or the Grammar Guide.
- Practice listening, speaking, reading, and writing with material that is interesting to you.
- Learn how to use various tools such as online dictionaries.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with progressively more advanced topics.
Achieving full fluency of a language requires not just learning the language but regularly applying what you learned by listening, speaking, reading, and writing. There are many online tools such as online dictionaries that will help you read and watch Japanese books, comics, and movies. There are also sites that will help you connect with native Japanese speakers for language exchange as well as other sites that will help with correcting your writing.
These tutorials go over how to use these various tools to effectively learn Japanese online.
- Japanese from scratch youtube channel: Short and simple videos for learning Japanese from scratch. These videos eventually make their way into the site but will show up here first.
- My blog: I talk about various topics that are interesting to me, potentially useful resources, and other miscellaneous things.
- Twitter: My twitter feed with random stuff.
- Facebook Group: My group for sharing things pertaining to learning Japanese.
Do you have any good 940x118 pixel image you'd like to see as the site's header? Send it to me! Many of the banners you see have been contributed by visitors to the site.
taekim.japanese AT gmail.com